The FSSC Development Program provides a two level approach to support SMEs in producing safe food. It is aligned with CODEX HACCP, GFSI Global Markets and fits into the FSSC 22000 structure. As such, the Program is especially suitable for SMEs who want to meet the food safety requirements of their clients or have the ambition to enlarge their market access. Organizations that conform with the FSSC Development Program requirements have the added benefit of being listed in the public register on the FSSC website.
Two minute video about the FSSC Development Program
“One of the strengths of the FSSC Development Program is the flexibility it offers. SMEs can start at any level within the Program and they can choose to proceed to any level depending on their needs and the needs of their clients. With this Program, the Foundation further supports and improves food safety worldwide.”Cor Groenveld, Market Development Director
Especially for smaller and medium sized food manufacturers
- It is an easy to use Program which is especially suitable for organizations that want to develop and improve their food safety system but might not achieve GFSI recognized certification in one step.
- The Program offers the flexibility for organizations to start on the conformity level which meets the maturity of their food safety system. Once conforming, the organization decides whether to remain at a certain level or to proceed to a next level or full FSSC 22000 certification.
- In order to support organizations in developing and improving their food safety system, the Program contains a self evaluation tool and a training program.
- The Program is aligned with CODEX HACCP, GFSI Global Markets and the FSSC 22000 structure. This ensures worldwide recognition and the option to progress to full FSSC 22000 certification.
- Conforming Organizations are listed in a public register on the FSSC website.
- Integrating the Program in vendor assurance programs supports food organizations to ensure food safety of their SME suppliers. This integration will also improve harmonization and cost efficiency in the food supply chain.
- It is owned by a non-profit Foundation and managed by an independent Board of Stakeholders.
- The Program is delivered by independent licensed Assessment Bodies and Training Organizations and is governed by the FSSC 22000 Integrity Program.
- The Program documents are available in English and translated into several languages.
Which organizations can use the program?
The FSSC Development Program is applicable to smaller and medium sized manufacturers of food products and food ingredients. Both manufacturers of ingredients that supply to other food manufacturers and those that supply to retailers and food service organizations can benefit from the FSSC Development Program, such as:
- artisan food manufacturers and “start-ups”
- food product and food ingredient manufacturers in emerging markets
- developers of novel foods and ingredients
- manufacturers of food products for delivery to restaurants and retail
How to become a Conforming Organization?
The FSSC Development Program requires that food organizations meet minimum food safety requirements (Level 1 or Level 2) and allows them to proceed to GFSI recognized certification (FSSC 22000). The following steps are proposed for a successful result:
Step 1: Reflect
- Download all relevant Program requirements.
- Complete a self-evaluation against the requirements using the free to download self-evaluation tool with the possible support of an FSSC Development Program licensed Training Organization
Step 2: Prepare
- When needed, contact a FSSC Development Program licensed Assessment Body
- Arrange an assessment of the food safety system by the Assessment Body and implement any corrective actions in case of non-conformities
- Contact a FSSC 22000 licensed Training Organization for additional advice
Step 3: Conformity Statement
- After a successful assessment, the Assessment Body will issue a Conformity Statement (Level 1 or 2) and the organization will be listed in the FSSC register of Conforming Organizations.
- To continue the conforming status, annual assessments will be conducted.
- Organizations can decide to stay on their conforming level 1 or 2 or can choose to proceed in achieving full FSSC 22000 certification.
- The validity of a Conformity Statement Level 1 or 2 is one year.